mapOur Location
Check on Maps
mapSunday Masses: 6:15am
7:30am,9:00am,11:00am,6:00pm

History

In the Nineteen Forties and Fifties, Falomo was a sleepy fishing village built on Swampy land in Ikoyi. Ikoyi at that time was made up mainly of expatriates who came to run the British Colonial Administration. They lived in the exclusive are with fellow expatriates who ran colonial companies like UAC, John Holt, Costain, Elder Demspter, etc. There was only one road into Ikoyi, and this went through the cemetery, breaking up into Bank Road, Bedwell, First Avenue and Kingsway Road, etc. There was no catholic church for the expatriates and their servants to worship and so they had to worship at the Chapel of St. Gregory’s college, Obalende which in itself was founded in 1928 under the then Rev, Fr.Leo Taylor an American and Pioneer Principal of ‘St.Gregory’s Grammar School’.However, in early 1957 Archbishop Leo Taylor set up a Building Committee after acquiring land in Falomo Village and he was the chairman of the Committee.Rev. fr. Patrick Braniff was asked to design a church. This he did and was approved by the Archbishop in March 1958 same year, the Foundation Stone of the Church of the Assumption was laid by his Grace. The Church was completed within two years. On 17th May, 1960 i.e. before Nigeria’s Independence it was dedicated and named as “ church of the Assumption” in honour of our “ Blessed Lady’s Assumption into Heaven”.Rev. Fr. Patrick Braniff became the first Parish Priest. Before the Church was completed, the Community worshiped at St. George’s Catholic Primary School in the same premises. The mother Parish was St. Michael catholic Church Lafiaji, Lagos under Late Monsignor John A. Kilbey (who was popularly known as Pa Kilbey).

He played a major role in funding the building to ensure early completion of the Church of Assumption.At the time of dedication of the church of the Assumption in May 1960, there were only 100 worshipers and these were Nigerians and Expatriates. Soon after, the number grew. Nigerian started taking over responsibilities of governance from the Expatriates and moved to residences in Ikoyi. This further swelled the number of parishioners. The area between Falomo Village and what was the Creek Hospital now Military Hospital Awolowo Road was being reclaimed, and at the same time a number of plots were allotted which allowed for rapid residential development. The area is today called South West Ikoyi. This further increased the number of worshipers. At the initial Stage St. Michael Catholic Church provided Mass Servers and sometime the choristers who sang at the Church of the Assumption, Falomo especially when the school was under construction.The first re-development was the Gallery which was completed in 1980 under Rev. Fr. O-keefe. In 1983 another building committee was setup once again to extend the Church. The new extension was dedicated on Sunday 29th July, 1984 by the then and now the Metropolitan Archbishop of Lagos, Anthony Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie. The final extension as we now havewas started and completed under the tenure of Rev. Fr. Noel O-Leary.The first outstation that was nurtured by the church of the Assumption Falomo was St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Oratory, 

located in 1004 on Victoria Island, The first outstation that was nurtured by the church of the Assumption Falomo was St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Oratory, located in 1004 on Victoria Island, Lagos. The Oratory which was funded by the Federal Government to serve the residents of the 1004 was managed by the Church of the Assumption until recently when a resident Priest was deployed to take charge. The second outstanding was church of Divine Mercy, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos. The third is the Church of the Transfiguration in Victoria Garden City, Lekki, Lagos.

In 1987 Falomo had its first Papal knight and this was Dr. Chris Abebe, who was conferred with Knights of St. Sylvester by the Holy Father. Other recipients are, Omo Priscilla Kuye, Mrs. Joyce Anyaegbunam, Chief Anthony Assaf, Mrs.Bridget Itsueli, Mrs. Eugenia Udoh, Chief Festus Marinho,Late Air Commodore A.Ikhazoboh.One of the biggest landmarks of the Parish was the placing of the pieces of Bones of St.Cecilia, and St. Vincent de Paul in the Alter on 15th August, 1995 by the Archbishop of Lagos. The Current Church Hall was officially opened on 17th August 1995. In 2010, under the supervision of Rev. Father Innocent Opogah, the church was fully air-conditioned for the comfort and convenience of the parishioners. The air-conditioned church was blessed on the 17th May, 2010 by His Eminence,Cardinal Okogie as part of the activities marking the 50th Anniversary of the Church.

Quote for today

Be with me, O Lord, when i am in distress. Psalm 91: 1-2

Parish Programme

Sunday Masses, 6:15am, 7:30am, 9:00 am, 11:00am, 6:00pm

Children’s Mass, 9:00am

Ikoyi Prison, 9:30am

Up Coming

 News

2nd Sept 2017                Harvest Walk

24th Sept 2017              Children/Youth Harvest & Bazaar

22nd Oct 2017               Lunch & Dance

13th - 17th Nov 2017     Harvest Retreat

17th Nov 2017              Restoration Concert

19th Nov 2017              Adult Harvest & Bazaar

 

 

 

Prayer for School Project

Loving and Provident God, Creator of all and Builder of the Universe, We, the Parish family of the Church of the Assumption Falomo, humbly ask your continued blessing on the spiritual, human and financial commitment we have made for the building of our School, Mater Ecclesiae College Epe and the fulfillment of Your Kingdom on earth. Unless You build the house, we labour in vain to build it. Through the intercession of Mary, Mother of God and St. Joseph, bring this project to its realization, complete the work that has begun and give us your grace to carry out this mission of evangelization. We ask this through Christ the Lord.  Amen.

 
 
طراحی سایتطراحی وب سایتسئوسئو سایتبهینه سازی سایتسرور مجازیوکیل دادگستریوکیل پایه یکوکیل پایه یک دادگستریوکیل دادگستریوکیل پایه یکوکیل پایه یک دادگستریبهترین وکیلوکالتوکیل دادگستریدوره mba